Best Canon Cameras for Kids
They're Not for young kids
So, you're looking for the best Canon cameras for kids?
Your child wants to grow up and be just like you, so it's only natural they want to use a real DLSR camera. Kids like to copy what moms and dads are doing. That includes using a camera.
Getting interested in photography can have a lot of benefits for children. Increased visual awareness of the world around them, an appreciation for textures, colors, and learning about composition are all benefits.
Kids also develop more confidence, better communication skills and higher self esteem as benefits of learning a skill like photography.
You have two choices when it comes to choosing the best camera for your child.
Two choices for the best Canon camera for kids
- Buy a toy camera for your very young child. It won't be a Canon.
- Buy a real camera with the intent of actually learning some photography and getting decent photos as a result. Go with an older or used model to save money.
TIPS FOR PARENTS:
- Teach them the importance of holding the camera steady
- Get them to see where the light is coming from
- Look at and talk about each photo right after it's been taken.
Kids Camera Buying Advice
On the surface of it, you might think it's just a matter of looking for a camera that is drop-proof, waterproof and generally kid-proof, and take good pictures.
If you are looking for a quick answer, you can just visit one of the kids digital camera reviews sites and you'll see which one they think is a top performer.
I'd encourage you to put a little more thought into, at least initially. Asking the right questions is often more productive then looking for the quickest decision.
Are you expecting your child to be able to create great creative works of art? Is the camera just a toy for entertainment, or more of a tool for teaching?
It's not the type of magic wand you use; it's the skill of the magician.
Perhaps unfortunately now more than ever, kids feel that they need to be constantly entertained to keep their interest.
One of the biggest disappointments for a parent giving their child a gift is when the child plays with a new toy for a few minutes, and then sets it down and moves onto something else.
You don't want that to happen when you buy your child a camera.
Brightly colored. Easy to hold
VTech KidiZoom Camera For Young Children
Features the Best Cameras For Kids Should Have
- Optional flash. A simple on-off button would suffice. The biggest complaint against kids cameras is the image quality they produce. Poor quality is often due to motion blur in darker situations.
- Bright LCD. Another complaint against the typical kids camera is the LCD. One of the appeals of digital photography is instant gratification of seeing the image you just captured on your camera.
- Games and special effects. Not everyone will agree on this one. Games that involve the photographs you've taken and special effects possibilities will add interaction with the photos
You, as their parent, have the biggest impact on your child and how much value that will get from a kids digital camera.
The colorful, but poorly rated Lego camera for kids.
ADVICE FOR BUYING ONE OF THE BEST CAMERAS FOR KIDS
- Have realistic expectations on the quality of images you'll get with a $40 or $50 dollar kids camera.
- Take an active roll in your child's photography. Be a supportive mentor. Research a few fun projects that you can work on together.
- Use a reliable source for reading the ratings. Try a big retailer like Amazon, where the reviews are written by consumers, not professional camera reviews website bloggers.
Have a blast. Shoot a Canon.
Bruce Lovelace is the publisher of Canon Camera Geek. Read more about him on the About Page. He also publishes how to articles and camera gear reviews at the Photography Tips website.
View some of Bruce's photos on Instagram and Flickr. Join the tribe of followers on YouTube. Bruce also runs photo workshops and provides 1 on 1 digital photography coaching.
Canon Geek on Google My Business
For The Older Teenage Child, What's the First Canon Camera To Get
Return to Canon's Best Cameras
Go to Canon's Best DSLR